- At least 1 in every 15 South Africans will experience trauma this year
- Every 43 minutes somebody in South Africa dies as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
- For every person that dies, 85 are admitted for treatment at a medical facility.
- Over 20,000 interpersonal deaths (Murders, suicides, hijackings, etc) will occur this year alone
- A study by Interpol (the international police agency) shows that South Africa has the highest rate of rape in the world. A woman is raped in South Africa every 17 seconds… In South Africa in 2006 there were close 55 000 reported rape cases. There were over 494,000 rape cases that went unreported. In 2009/10 there were 68 332 REPORTED cases, which means more than 600,000 UNREPORTED cases.
- South Africa has the highest incidence of child and baby rape in the world with more than 67,000 cases of rape and sexual assaults against children reported in 2000.
- Statistics show significant (actually shocking) increases in the incidence of attempted murder (42,3%), all sexual offenses (36,1%) and murder (14,5%) against children between 2008/2009 and 2009/2010.
Latest Statistics for crime in South Africa. Taken from the CIA.gov website and the United Nations 2011 report "International Statistics on Crime and Justice". This is South Africa's position in the World Crime Rankings
South Africa ranked 1st in the World :
- Rapes (per capita) 1.19538 per 1,000 people [1st of 65]
- Assaults (per capita) 12.0752 per 1,000 people [1st of 57]
- Gun violence > Homicides > Firearm homicide rate > per 100,000 pop. 74.5748 [1st of 32]
- Gun violence > Homicides > Overall homicide rate > per 100,000 pop. 125.965 [1st of 32]
- Manslaughters (per capita) 0.247181 per 1,000 people [1st of 43]
South Africa ranked 2nd in the World :
- Murders with firearms 31,918 [1st of 36]
- Murders with firearms (per capita) 0.719782 per 1,000 people [1st of 32]
- Gun violence > Homicides > % homicides with firearms 59.2028 [2nd of 32]
- Murders (per capita) 0.496008 per 1,000 people [2nd of 62]
- Gun violence > Homicides > Non-firearm homicide rate > per 100,000 pop. 51.3901 [2nd of 32]
- Manslaughters 11,202 [2nd of 42]
- Number of prisoners 181,944 prisoners [2nd of 168]
South Africa ranked 4th or lower in the World :
- Robberies (per capita) 4.4434 per 1,000 people [4th of 64]
- Drug offences 53,810 per 100,000 people [4th of 46]
- Car thefts 93,133 [6th of 46]
Total crimes 2,683,849 [ranked 5th of 50 countries]